Thursday, January 22, 2015

Writing Response two

When I first started reading the Goldberg book, I was nervous. Were my writing habits good? Was I doing something wrong? Am I a good writer? Apparently, I am doing something right. One of the chapters talked about setting aside a certain amount of time to write. I have a writing blog on tumblr and, since creating it, I force myself to write at least once a day; sometimes for an hour, sometimes for ten minutes. It all depends on how i feel that day.

She also talks about associating writing with chocolate chip cookies (i think we talked about this in class?) Recently, someone I knew passed away. I wasn't close to him, but I have still been very sad. I find it hard to put the words together to process my grief in my writing. Lately, I have been watching the show Skins and, in the season I have been watching, one of the characters dies. It shows how the other characters deal with the death, and that has helped me pour out my feelings. Skins actually helps me feel my sadness very intensely, which helps me write and process through it.

My favorite part of the book was when she talked about how we are not the feelings that we write about. It really hit home for me because for so long I have felt that I am my sadness. I am my depression. I don't know how to live without it, which is why I was afraid to go on antidepressants.

1 comment: